A retired colonel in the United States Army Jim brings a unique combination of legal, military and management experiences provide a broad overview of executive-level human capital, talent management, benefits communications, change and strategic management acumen. Jim is a skilled leader and administrator with strong training, administration, and negotiations expertise. A problem-solver with in-depth understanding of systems, processes and mechanisms at all levels, including both corporate and governmental.
Assistant Attorney General, Bureau Chief, State of Illinois, 2005-2007
- Prosecuted civil cases regarding veterans' benefits and the rights of disabled veterans.
- Clarified laws, rules, regulations and precedents impacting more than 800,000 veterans throughout Illinois.
- Resolved complaints against local governments, taxing bodies, private businesses, and state/federal agencies.
- Worked closely with Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, and disabled veterans organizations.
- Represented veterans and veteran groups in cases involving health care, housing and employment.
- Performed significant public outreach on behalf of Attorney General Lisa Madigan; traveled throughout Illinois speaking at town hall meetings.
- Expedited felony charges against two individuals who were claiming veterans' privileges; these individuals had manufactured false military orders and participated in parades honoring their military service.
- Achieved success in reinstating returning veterans to their former jobs through negotiations with employers, thus avoiding litigation through the use of mediation.
Assistant States Attorney, Joliet, Illinois, 2002-2005
- Prosecuted criminal cases on behalf of the State of Illinois; focused on felony cases.
- Served on a drug task force in coordination with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Received information from a variety of sources including tips, telephone wiretaps and undercover police work; swore out search warrants, obtained judge's signature and authorized searches.
- Conducted grand jury proceedings as required to obtain drug case indictments.
- Managed a caseload numbering in the hundreds, particularly during first year in this position while working misdemeanor drug abuse cases.
- Negotiated salary and other politically-charged issues with local union representing state attorneys; utilized expert knowledge of union processes, procedures and policies to facilitate a viable settlement.
US ARMY, Afghanistan - Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
US Army Intelligence and Security Command, Contracting Officer, 2012-Present
- Provide contracting oversight for the highly sensitive linguist program in Guantanamo Bay (GTMO), Cuba and over seven thousand 7,000 contract linguists in Afghanistan. Personally advised Commanding Generals and senior leaders on all linguist programs and activities in the Afghanistan Theatre of Operations.
- Provided oversight of for over 7,000 linguists
- Managed contracts worth over 5 billion dollars
- Implemented and lead quality improvement for linguistic support.
- Assisted in the planning for the drawdown and eventual reduction in number of linguists required to support US and coalition operations.
US ARMY, Washington DC
Headquarters, Department of the Army - Operations/Acquisitions, 2009-2012
Colonel in the US Army Reserve with a Top Secret clearance called to active duty and deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom to assist in the drawdown of war efforts. Lead the mobilization process for all National Guard and Reserve Forces being called to active duty in support of worldwide and continental US missions. Appointed to lead headquarters element managing acquisitions and contracts in support of U.S. operations worldwide.
- Managed a mobilization base of over 50,000 soldiers
- Provided oversight for soldier readiness and preparations prior to wartime deployments
- Managed a team of 20 senior military personnel/Over $3billion in acquisitions and contracts
- Managed the Department of the Army Mobilization software and system.
- Streamlined the Headquarters Department of the Army Operation directorate reducing the number of soldiers and civilians from 1054 personnel to 435.
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate
- United States Army War College
- Master of Science
- Major: Strategic Studies
- University of Illinois
- Bachelor of Science
- Major: Political Science
Honors and Awards
- Legion of Merit
- Army Staff Badge
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Army Commendation Medal
- Army Achievement Medal
- Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with Arrow Head
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Global War on Terror Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terror Service Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon
- NATO Medal
- Combat Infantryman Badge
- Parachutist Badge with combat jump device
- Senior Parachutist Badge
- Ranger Tab
Past Employment Positions
- Bureau Chief, State of Illinois, Assistant Attorney General, 2005 to 2007
- Joliet, Illinois, Assistant States Attorney, 2002 to 2005
- US ARMY, Afghanistan – Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, US Army Intelligence and Security Command, Contracting Officer, 2012 - Present
- US ARMY, Washington DC, Headquarters, Department of the Army, Operations/Acquisitions, 2009 - 2012