David P. Smith
Originally from Grand Blanc, Michigan, David came to Illinois in 2007. Since that time, he has come to call the greater Chicagoland area home.
David’s practice area focuses on commercial and complex litigation, with an eye for guiding businesses and individuals through the process in order to ultimately achieve their business and personal goals. Commercial and complex litigation can often be an intimidating and confusing process. If not managed and approached properly, it can spin out of control, resulting in unnecessary time and expense. David enjoys the challenges associated with ensuring that clients ultimately achieve their goals in an aggressive, efficient and cost-conscious manner.
David is also highly involved in Landlord’s rights and disputes, and has assisted a number of clients in working with both city and county officials in order to ensure that Landlords, whether commercial or residential, are not overburdened by city and county regulations and requirements.
David was recently appointed to serve as a Member on the 2015-2016 ISBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Council.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2014
- Illinois, 2010
- Northern Illinois University College of Law, DeKalb, Illinois
- J.D. cum laude - 2010
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- B.A. - 2007
- Honors: Criminal Justice
- Honors: Honors College Member
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Joliet Chamber of Commerce, Community Leadership School
- Joliet Regional Landlord’s Association, Secretary
- Will County Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Joseph G. McGraw, Presiding Judge, Criminal Division, Winnebago County, Law Clerk
- Professor Lawrence Schlam, Northern Illinois University College of Law, Research Assistant
- Cook County State's Attorney's Office, Child Protection Division, Law Clerk
- Delta Theta Phi